Federal Government demands explanation from Italy over burial of 26 girls

The Federal Government has expressed dismay over Italy’s hasty burial of the 26 Nigerian girls who were found dead on the Mediterranean Sea. The bodies of the girls were found on a sinking vessel on the Mediterranean about two weeks ago and there were reports that they might have been sexually abused before they were murdered.

The Senior Special Assistant, SSA, to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, told journalists in Abuja that the Italian Embassy had earlier indicated to the Director General, National Agency for Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons that the burial of the girls would take place in Salerno, Italy on November 26th, 2017.

But the Italian authorities, she said, went ahead with the burial last Friday, without informing the Nigerian government, adding that the NAPTIP director was currently in Italy to engage with the Italian authorities ahead of the scheduled burial date. The SSA, who addressed newsmen alongside a NAPTIP representative, Mr. Abdulrahim Shaibu, explained that a protest letter had been sent to the Italian envoy in Nigeria over the matter.